Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Colboard of Ideas #2

And inspiration comes in the form of illustrators James Jean and Feral Kid. I love the weird creepy vibe they both give. I looove the indescribably textures and look of their work. I know for sure Feral Kid's work is mostly gouche and watercolor, but I'm not sure about Jean's (it's oil I think) Any way, although my portrait would be realistic and all, I'm really digging the washed out layers these guys both do. And, I'm really seeing it tie in with the newsprint I'll be using, so... think of a mix of these guys and Sean Luhring, and we'll see what we get?


"Umbrella Academy" Illustration/James Jean - Click on it to view the whole thing. It's pretty cool.


"Swan"


"MRCR" / Feral Kid (Starting from here on, these are all his)


"Tengu"



"Haunted: #20"

5 comments:

  1. ok, I think I need to read The Umbrella Academy. Also, I need to go look up Feral Kid because I think these pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was showing andy these and he showed me some other artist he liked too that these reminded him of. They are kinda creepy though. Just letting you know.

    http://www.markryden.com/index.html

    http://www.joesorren.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. no prob, thanks for sharing! Feral Kid is on Flickr, just type it in and search "people". I'll check out those links you posted :D

    Oh yeah, and I don't know if Umbrella Academy is a single book or if it's a series. James Jean does illustrations for some sort of comic book fable collection. That might be part of it, I'm not sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it was a comic book that Gerard Way had written, cuz I loves me some My Chemical Romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO WONDER that name was familiar lol. Come to think of it, I want to say James Jean did the album art for Black Parade, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was just a promo or smtg, I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete